Friday, June 15, 2012

REVLON LIP BUTTERS: REVIEW AND SWATCHES




 

So today I'm talking about the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters!

Although I know everyone under the sun has talked about these, I still wanted to share my swatches and opinion. So, these are known for their smooth, hydrating texture/ properties, and for being quite pigmented for a "lip balm"-ish sort of product. I would describe them as having the hydrating properties and smooth texture of a tinted lip balm, but the color payoff of a lipstick. The color selection is to die for, and you will DEFINITELY find a shade for you. I have the six you see above, and will talk about each individual shade below.

So the first one is Peach Parfait:


This is a popular one. It's a natural peachy, coral sort of color, flattering on a wide variety of skin tones. It's quite shimmery, but not gritty feeling on the lips. Just a pretty, soft way to get a coral wash on your lips. It's kind of sheer, but you can build it up a little.

Second is a color called Strawberry Shortcake:


I quite like this color! It's a great girly, milky sort of pink and it's a creamy finish with no glitter or shimmer. It's slightly blue-toned, and I find it an everyday, wearable sort of shade. This is something I would wear out casually, or maybe just if I'm feeling especially girly or something. It is one of the sheerer shades, so you might have to do a few swipes to get the color you want. Great for spring I think!

Next, we have Sweet Tart:


This is a bright pink shade, with the slightest bit of coral-y undertone. This is actually just slightly brighter, I think, in person than it is showing up on the picture. It's certainly a fun, bright color, and in no way is the color payoff disappointing here! This is also creamy with no glitter or shimmer. This is another universally flattering shade, one that is quite popular.

Moving on, we have Berry Smoothie:


This color is just great! It's a natural-looking, shimmery berry color, which I think would be, again, universally flattering. It's such a wearable, everyday sort of color. This is something I see myself wearing to a job interview, in the workplace, or at a family event, since it's a natural, but slightly more "mature" color. And I don't mean that it makes you look old or anything. It's a color that is very appropriate for all occasions, I suppose I should say. I would wear this any day, but it's particularly appropriate when you are trying to look put together.I also just think this one would be great in autumn.

Next is Cherry Tart:


WOW! Favorite color in this collection that I have tried, hands down. This is a shimmery, slightly blue-toned red. It's a little sheer, so it isn't overpowering. It's VERY wearable, something that would be great if you've never tried red before and you are looking for something to ease yourself into red lipsticks.

Finally, Red Velvet:


This is my least favorite of what I have tried in these lip butters. However, I don't think it is really the color's fault, but more the fact that I am so fair. It looks like a true, deep red in the picture above, but it's actually slightly browner in person, and it's a bit vampy for my taste. It actually is a nice, creamy, dark red, which would definitely flatter those of you with medium to dark skin tones. And the color payoff is the best of all the colors I own. However, if you are fair, I would use this with caution. Not that you CAN'T pull it off, but it is not an easy color to adjust to if you, like me, are used to using light shades. Perhaps I will change my mind on this one, but for now it's not quite the right color for me. Please check it out though if you like the vampy or deeper reds!

While I mostly find pros for these lipsticks, such as their smooth and effortless texture, their hydrating properties, the color selection, and their wearability, there are a few cons. First, these don't last very long. That's to be expected however, since they are so moisturizing and give such a glossy finish. Also, the lighter shades can be a bit sheer, and you might have to put on several coats of the lipstick for the color to show up exactly how you want it to. Fortunately, they are all relatively buildable. For the most part, one swipe of the darker shades is sufficient enough for the color to show up nicely on the lips. Finally, I have had some issues with these melting and/or sticking to the inside of the tube. It has resulted in me having to push down some of the lipsticks with my finger after applying them to my lips when I want to put the cap back on. I suppose it's to be expected out of a lipstick that is so soft, but do be careful! They are very easy to squish. Also, because of their soft texture, they often leave residue on the top part of the lipstick tube, which isn't a big deal, but can be a little irritating.

Overall:

Pros
-Wide range of colors
- SUPER moisturizing
-Glossy finish
-Easy to apply; very smooth
-Many shades are universally flattering for different skin tones
-Cute packaging

Cons
-Easily melt or dent due to soft texture
-Leave residue on the lipstick tube
-Not long-wearing
-Some lighter shades are a bit sheer

With love and peace to all,

Azierra

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. YES! It's just such a great flattering color, and so cute for summer! :)

      Delete